Lifecycles give you control over the way releases of your software are promoted between your environments.
Lifecycles are managed from the library page by navigating to Library ➜ Lifecyles:
Octopus automatically creates a default lifecycle for you that contains a phase for each environment that you've created in Octopus Deploy. When you deploy your software it passes through the phases of the lifecycle in order.
Create a new lifecycle
- From the Lifecycle page, click on the ADD LIFECYCLE button.
- Give the Lifecycle a name and add a description.
- Click ADD PHASE to add a phase to the lifecycle.
- Give the phase a name, for instance, Development.
- Click ADD ENVIRONMENT and select the environment that will be deployed to during this phase of the lifecycle, for instance, the Development environment.
- Click ADD PHASE again and add as many phases as you need.
- Click SAVE to save your lifecycle.
Change the lifecycle for a deployment process
By default, deployment processes will use the default lifecycle.
- Navigate to Projects and select the project.
- Click Process and you will see the current lifecycle.
- Click CHANGE and select the required lifecycle and click SAVE.
To learn more about release management and lifecycles refer to lifecycles documentation.
Return to the getting started guides.
Need support? We're here to help.