Octopus deploy is available in two variants:
- Self-hosted Octopus Server that you host on the infrastructure of your choice.
- Octopus Cloud which is the hosted version of Octopus Deploy.
Self-hosted Octopus Server
If you want to host the Octopus Server on infrastructure of your choosing, you can download the installer, install the server, and manage it on infrastructure of your choice, providing it meets the installation requirements.
You will also need to maintain the server, backup the database, and apply upgrades.
Install the self-hosted Octopus Server
To install the Octopus Server on a supported Windows Server, complete the following steps:
- Download the Octopus Deploy installer.
- Start the installer and follow the setup wizard prompts.
- Click Finish to exit the installer and grant Octopus.Manager.Server permission to make changes to your device.
- Click Get started..., follow the on-screen instructions, and accept the defaults.
- On the Database page, follow the instructions to download and install SQL Server Express.
- Click the drop-down arrow in the Server Name field to detect the SQL Server database. Octopus will create the database for you.
- Continue to follow the prompts, and click Finished when the installation has completed.
Your self-hosted Octopus Server is now ready to use.
Before you do anything else, click the View Master Key link, copy your Master Key, and store it somewhere safe.
To launch the Octopus Web Portal, click Open in browser from the Octopus Manager and log in with the credentials you configured during the installation process.
For more information and other installation options, see the installation documentation.
Now that you've installed the self-hosted Octopus Server, it's time to explore the Octopus Web Portal.
Octopus Cloud is the hosted version of Octopus. We host the Octopus Server on your behalf and take responsibility for the underlying infrastructure and upgrading the server so you are using the latest features of the platform.
Create an Octopus Cloud instance
To create an Octopus Cloud instance, you need to first create an Octopus account, and then you can create your Octopus Cloud instance:
You can register for an account with your existing Google or Microsoft account or create a unique login for Octopus:
Enter your name.
Provide your email address and create a password.
On the next screen, verify your email address.
After your email has been verified, you will be logged into your Octopus account. To create a new instance of Octopus Cloud, make sure you are logged into your Octopus account:
Click Create a new cloud instance.
Enter the URL you would like to use to access your instance:
<yoururl>.octopus.app. If the URL you selected is not available, enter a different URL.
Select the region where you would like your instance to be hosted.
Add your company name.
Click Agree, deploy my Octopus!.
You will be taken to the account provisioning screen. Your Octopus Cloud instance should be ready within a minute or so. You will receive an email when the instance is ready to use.
When your Octopus Cloud instance is ready, you can log in at the URL you defined during the registration process:
To learn more about Octopus Cloud, see the Octopus Cloud documentation.
Need support? We're here to help.