If you're using a version prior to Tentacle 3.1, refer to the installation requirements for older versions of Tentacle.
The installation requirements for the latest version of Tentacle are:
- Windows Server 2008 R2
- Windows Server 2012
- Windows Server 2012 R2
- Windows Server 2016 (Both "Server Core" and "Server with a GUI" installations are supported for Tentacle).
- Windows Server 2019
Octopus does not actively test against Windows 2008, and certain operating system specific issues may not be fixed as Microsoft no longer supports Windows 2008.
The table below outlines the minimum required version of .NET Framework for Tentacle 3.1 and higher.
|Tentacle||.NET Framework version|
|3.1 -> 4.0.7||4.5.1+ (download)|
|5.0 -> latest||4.5.2+ (download)|
- Windows PowerShell 2.0. This is automatically installed on 2008 R2.
- Windows PowerShell 3.0 or 4.0 is recommended, both of which are compatible with PowerShell 2.0, but execute against .NET 4.0+.
- Windows PowerShell 5.1 is required to run Azure steps
- Hardware minimum: 512MB RAM, 1GHz CPU, 2GB free disk space.
Tentacle uses a small amount of memory when idle, usually around 10MB (it may appear higher in task manager because memory is shared with other .NET processes that are running). When deploying, depending on what happens during the deployment, this may expand to 60-100MB, and will then go back down after the deployment is complete. Tentacle will happily run on single-core machines, and only uses about 100MB of disk space, though, of course, you'll need more than that to deploy your applications.
Download the Tentacle installer
Octopus Tentacle is available to download for both Windows and Linux (GZip, APT, and RPM) from the downloads page.
Octopus can run Python scripts on Windows targets provided the following criteria are met:
- Python version 3.4+ is installed
Pythonis on the path for the user that Tentacle is running as
- pip is installed or the pycryptodome python package is installed
Need support? We're here to help.