Welcome to another Will it Deploy? Episode where we try to automate the deployment of different technologies with Octopus Deploy. In this episode, we're trying to deploy a Microsoft SQL Server database using a Data-tier Application Package (DACPAC) to an Amazon Web Services (AWS) virtual machine (VM).
Our app is a quote generator called Random Quotes. The application is pretty simple but it allows us to illustrate how to deploy database changes and updates.
- Microsoft ASP.NET Core 2.0 web app
- Data-tier application Package (DACPAC) framework
- Microsoft SQL Server 2017 database
Kudos to our marketing manager Andrew who has been learning to code and built the first cut of this app. Great work!
So will it deploy? Yes it will! Our deployment process looks like the following.
Then we add the following steps to successfully deploy our app.
- Octopus Deploy a Package step to copy our database scripts to our database deployment target
- Octopus Community Contributed step template - SQL - Deploy DACPAC to deploy our DACPAC to our SQL Server database.
- Octopus Deploy to IIS step to deploy our ASP.NET Core web application
This project uses the following variables to store our app settings, database connection details and web app configuration.
This episode's GitHub repo contains all the resources and links used in this video.
We hope you enjoyed this episode as we have many more in the works! If there's a framework or technology you'd like us to explore, let us know in the comments.
Don't forget to subscribe to our YouTube channel as we're adding new videos regularly. Happy deployments! 😃
Octopus Deploy is used by thousands of developers across the globe, from small companies to large enterprises. Find out if it meets your deployment automation needs by taking advantage of our free 30-day trial. You can spin up an instance with just a few clicks!