Welcome to another Will it Deploy? Episode where we try to automate the deployment of different technologies with Octopus Deploy. In this special double-episode, we're trying to deploy a multi-tenant SaaS web app to different customers running on Amazon Web Services (AWS) virtual machines.
Our app is a quote generator called Random Quotes. The application is relatively simple but it includes a number of common features that allows us to illustrate the complexities of multi-tenant deployments.
- Customised app settings for each customer
- Dynamic feature/module loading at application startup
- Customised colors and styles for each customer
- Microsoft ASP.NET Core 2.0 web app
- Entity Framework Core 2.0 framework
- Microsoft SQL Server 2017 database
Kudos to our marketing manager Andrew who has been learning to code and built the first cut of this app. Great work!
So will it deploy? Yes it will! Our deployment process looks like the following.
Then we add the following steps to successfully deploy our app.
- Octopus Deploy a Package step to copy our database scripts to our database deployment target
- Octopus Community Contributed step template - SQL - Execute Script File to execute our Entity Framework Core migration script agaist our SQL Server database.
- Octopus Deploy to IIS step to deploy our multi-tenant ASP.NET Core web application
- Octopus Deploy a Package step to copy the Admin Module to customer's website if they pay for this feature
- Octopus Deploy a Package step to copy the Sharing Module to customer's website if they pay for this feature
This project uses the following variables, variable templates and common variable templates to store our app settings, database connection details and web app configuration.
This episode's GitHub repo contains all the resources and links used in this video.
We hope you enjoyed this episode as we have many more in the works! If there's a framework or technology you'd like us to explore, let us know in the comments.
Don't forget to subscribe to our YouTube channel as we're adding new videos regularly. Happy deployments! 😃
Octopus Deploy is used by thousands of developers across the globe, from small companies to large enterprises. Find out if it meets your deployment automation needs by taking advantage of our free 30-day trial. You can spin up an instance with just a few clicks!