Compare releases and check for compatibility between your existing Octopus Server and new releases.
These are the most important features you'll get by upgrading from 3.13.10 to 3.14.1592
Changes in 3.14
We are excited to announce the Octopus Deploy plugin for Atlassian Bamboo continuous integration server.
This includes build tasks to make it easy to integrate your build and deployment pipelines.
- Package applications for deployment
- Push packages to Octopus
- Create Octopus releases
- Deploy Octopus releases
- We've updated our ‘Deploy to IIS’ step to add support to control how your web sites and app pools are started after a successful. deployment. This is a great addition to one of most popular steps.
- Octopus is now generating all its certificates using using SHA256, instead of the older SHA1. We blogged about this previously when the SHAttered security vulnerability was announced and we've updated Octopus as promised.
- Octopus Server and Tentacle will now be released on a separate cadence. Tentacle will now be versioned/released independently and it will now come with its own release notes. This is a minor point but it should make it easier to upgrade Octopus going forward!
- Octopus Server database schema updates are now more transparent. Now when you upgrade Octopus to 3.14.0, or newer, the database schema upgrade will be performed immediately after the software upgrade, clearly showing the progress of the schema changes.
- We've added some new database indexes and we greatly reduced the memory usage on all HTTP requests. This means Octopus can spend less time cleaning up after itself, and more time being productive on your behalf.
Octopus Tentacle 3.14.15: Octopus Tentacle 3.14.15 is not backwards compatible with Octopus Server versions less than 3.14.15. This has been fixed as of Octopus Tentacle 3.14.159.
Octopus Server configuration automation: If you are using scripts to automate your Octopus Server installation, please test these scripts with Octopus Server 3.14.x. We have made some changes to simplify configuration of your Octopus Server, but weren't able to maintain 100% backwards compatibility with some of the more obtuse scripts we tested. If you encounter any problems, please look at the scripts generated when you use the Octopus Server wizard.
SQL Database schema upgrades: It may also be worth noting we have adjusted the SQL database schema upgrades so they can be run at the time, and by a user account, which best suits your scenario:
- Automatically after the installer completes (new behaviour) - this runs the schema upgrades as the user account who started the installer - falls back to the existing behaviour if the installing user cannot access the SQL database
- Automatically during the Octopus Server startup (just like before) - this runs the schema upgrade as the user account who started the Octopus Server
- Automatically when executing the
Octopus.Server.exe configurecommand for a setting which is stored in the database (just like before) - this runs the schema upgrade as the user account who started the Octopus Server
- Manually by executing the brand new
Octopus.Server.exe database --upgradecommand - this will run the schema upgrades as the user account who started the command
This may not affect many customers, but enables some advanced scenarios where you can grant limited privileges to the Octopus Server account, and grant schema change privileges to a special account used for installation.
SQL Error 4060 - Cannot open database "OctopusDeploy" requested by the login. The login failed.
If you see an error message like this after the installer completes, you can start the Octopus Server just like before and let it perform the schema upgrades.
Read the upgrade guide for more details on upgrading from your current version to Octopus 3.14.
Changes in 3.13
We are excited to announce that Octopus now includes first-class support for Deploying Azure Service Fabric applications.
New deployment steps include:
- Deploying a Service Fabric App (learn more)
- Running a Service Fabric SDK PowerShell Script (learn more)
You can also read our guide on Continuous Integration for Service Fabric.
- You can now enable HTTP Strict Transport Security (HSTS)
- You can now configure optional lifecycle phases
- We have improved browser caching of expensive operations like loading the dashboard
- The message on the deployment overview can now be customised, refer to failing a script with a message
- You can now edit the state of a task from the task screen by providing the new task state and the reason for the change.
- You can now configure channel-indexed version templates so you can use a consistent version scheme across channels
Please note there is a minor breaking change in this release around the
show-configuration command. This will only affect customers who use the
show-configuration command for things like automating Octopus Server installation and configuration.
Octopus.Storage.NodeName has been corrected to be
See this GitHub Issue for more details.
Read the upgrade guide for more details on upgrading from your current version to Octopus 3.13.
These are the features and fixes you'll get by upgrading from 3.13.10 to 3.14.1592.
Changes in Octopus 3.14.1592
- 3586 - Tasks running on an HA node that fails to check in will be marked as failed
- 3589 - Offline drops now detect if a sensitive variables file is available, and prompts for the password automatically
- 3599 - Fixed a problem that would show an annoying error message when trying to upgrade from Octopus 2.6.5 to Octopus 3.14.x
- 3600 - Fixed an issue introduced in
3.14.159that caused prompted variable not to be set at deployment time
Changes in Octopus 3.14.159
- 3330 - Improved the performance of the update variables process at the end of each deployment step
- 3545 - Azure resource group deployment names are unique and less than 64 characters long
- 3567 - Task log headers now indicate whether an action was run on behalf of a targer instead of on the target itself
- 3572 - Most
listapi endpoints now support a
takequery parameter to control the page size, allowing more than 30 results to be returned at a time
- 3577 - Azure Web App step correctly reloads the site list when editing
- 3578 - Show additional configuration values on the
Configuration -> Nodes -> Configuration Settingspage
- 3580 - User invitations can be used only once now
- 3583 - Step Update works now when the update is performed while the template is being modified
Changes in Octopus 3.14.15
- 3094 - Running a step template now populates its default parameter values
- 3524 - Cloned projects now include the correct lifecycle
- 3552 - OpenID Connect authentication provider now supports IPs that only use RSA keys
- 3559 - A new HA node leader will be elected when there are only follower nodes
- 3561 - Recover from hung state when IIS based deployments are cancelled
- 3562 - All error messages are now written to
stderreven if the
--noconsoleloggingswitch is used with
- 3563 - Improved the master key validation we apply when connecting an Octopus Server instance to an existing database
- 3565 - Octopus Server, as part of upgrading, now detects if the SQL Database schema upgrade can be performed before attempting them
- 3566 - Fixed a problem where an audit event could be formatted incorrectly, causing the audit query to break
- 3568 - Clarified that Roles group Permissions
- 3574 - Add commands to create and backup certificates used by the Server for Tentacle communication
- 3576 - Azure Cloud Service deployments will now set
OctopusAzureCloudServiceDeploymentUrloutput variables when the deployment is completed. Many thanks to @micsco for the contribution!
Changes in Octopus 3.14.1
- 3459 - IIS application pools and websites can optionally be started as part of the deployment step
- 3549 - Fix to the Certificate table to help avoid primary key violations
- 3554 - Octopus Server and Tentacle will now be released on a separate cadence
- 3147 - Improved the database schema upgrade experience
Changes in Octopus 3.13.10
- 3493 - User onboarding progress bar no longer appears after upgrading from 3.3.27 or earlier
- 3531 - Performance improvements to the deployment manifest clean up queries
- 3542 - Show the custom installation directory purge exclusions section when the Purge setting is bound to a variable
- 3543 - Resolved error creating deployment when certificate step-template parameters not supplied