Deploy a sample package
Octopus Deploy's primary purpose is to push software packages, .zip, .jar, .war, .tar, .nupkg, etc., to your deployment targets. Octopus Deploy requires all your assets, binaries, configuration files, CSS files, and more to run your application to be packaged up. Typically this is done by your build server.
Packages must have the following attributes:
- Package ID. i.e.,
- Version number, i.e.,
- Package format, i.e.,
To learn more about supported formats, versioning, and packaging applications, refer to the packaging documentation.
The following is a sample package that could be deployed with Octopus Deploy:
You can manually upload that package to the Octopus built-in repository in the Octopus Web Portal.
- Navigating to the Library tab.
- Click UPLOAD PACKAGE.
- Select the package you want to upload and click UPLOAD.
Add a step to the hello world deployment process to push that package to the desired deployment target.
- Click the Projects link in the top menu.
- Select the Hello World project.
- Click the Process link in the left menu.
- Click the ADD STEP button.
- Select the Package tile.
- Click ADD on the Deploy a Package tile.
- Leave the Step Name and the Enabled check-box as is.
- Select hello-world as the On Targets in Roles.
- Select hello-world as the Package ID.
- Click the SAVE button.
Please create a new release and deploy it to Development. The release will deploy the hello world package to dev-server-01.
You have now completed the deployment tutorial! This tutorial has focused on running sample scripts and deploying sample packages to your servers. It is now time to add your applications to Octopus Deploy.
For further reading on deploying packages in Octopus Deploy along with integrating with your CI/CD pipeline please see:
- Deployment Process Documentation
- Deployment Documentation
- Patterns and Practices
- Customizable End to End CI/CD Tutorials
Need support? We're here to help.