When you install the Octopus Deploy server, you'll be asked whether Octopus should run as the Local System account, or as a custom user. It's a good practice to set up a dedicated user account for the Octopus Server.
Keep in mind that the user principal that the Octopus service runs as needs to be able to do many things:
- Run as a service ("Log on as a service" rights), so that the service can start.
- Read and write the Octopus SQL Server database. If the SQL database is on another server, this is a good reason to use a custom user account.
- Read and write from the registry and file system (details below).
- Read any NuGet feeds that use local folders or file shares.
The following table acts as a guide for the minimal permission set that Octopus must have for successful operation:
|Full control||The Octopus "Home" folder, e.g.
||Octopus stores logs, temporary data, and dynamic configuration in this folder.||Windows Explorer|
|Read||The directory Octopus was installed to (typically C:\Program Files\Octopus Deploy)||Octopus needs these files in order to run.||Windows Explorer|
||Octopus determines the location of its configuration files from this key.||Regedit|
||Octopus must be able to upgrade and restart itself for remote administration.||SC.EXE|
|Listen||Port 10943||Octopus accepts commands from polling Tentacles on this port.||NETSH.EXE|
|Listen||Port 80||The Octopus Server responds to browser requests on this port.||NETSH.EXE|
|Listen||Port 443||If using SSL, the Octopus Server responds to browser requests on this port.||NETSH.EXE|
|db_owner||For the SQL database. Learn more.||Octopus needs to be able to manage its database, including making schema changes.||SQL Server Management Studio|
If you rely on Octopus to run certain tasks on the Octopus server, you'll also need to grant appropriate permissions for these. Examples include:
- Using the Windows Azure deployment tasks in Octopus (these run on the Octopus Server).
- Deploying to an offline package drop deployment target.
- Running a custom script on the Octopus server.
Continue with the Octopus installation.