First Runbook Run
This tutorial will help you complete your first runbook run using a sample script on one or more of your servers. The only prerequisite is a running Octopus Deploy instance, either in Octopus Cloud or self-hosted. The tutorial will walk through configuring deployment targets.
This tutorial will take between 15-25 minutes to complete, with each step taking between 2-3 minutes to complete.
- Configure environments
- Create a project
- Create a runbook
- Define a runbook process to run on workers
- Running a runbook
- Defining and using runbook variables
- Adding deployment targets
- Update runbook process to run on deployment targets
- Publishing a runbook
Before starting the tutorial, if you haven't set up an Octopus Deploy instance, please do so by selecting one of the following options:
- Octopus Cloud -> we host the Octopus Deploy instance for you, it connects to your servers.
- Self-hosted on a Windows Server -> you host it on your infrastructure by downloading our MSI and installing it onto a Windows Server with a SQL Server backend. Learn more about our installation requirements.
- Self-hosted as a Docker container -> you run Octopus Deploy in a docker container. You will still need a free license.
When you have an instance running, go to the configure runbook environments page to get started.
This tutorial will run a sample script, first on the default worker or your server; then, it will move onto running that script on your servers. If you prefer to skip that and start configuring Octopus Deploy runbooks to meet your requirements, please see:
Need support? We're here to help.