Environments are how you organize your deployment targets (whether on-premises servers or cloud services) into groups that represent the different stages of your deployment pipeline, for instance, development, test, and production.
Organizing your deployment targets into environments lets you define your deployment processes (no matter how many deployment targets or steps are involved) and have Octopus deploy the right versions of your software to the right environments at the right time. The order your projects progress through your environments is controlled by the lifecycle.
You can manage your environments by navigating to Infrastructure ➜ Environments in the Octopus Web Portal:
Add new environments
- Navigate to Infrastructure ➜ Environments and click ADD ENVIRONMENT.
- Give your new environment a meaningful name and click SAVE.
- Add a description for the environment.
- Select the check-box in the Default Guided Failure Mode section if you want Octopus Deploy to prompt users for intervention if a deployment to this environment fails. Learn more about guided failure mode.
- Select the check-box in the Dynamic Infrastructure section if deployments to this environment are allowed to create infrastructure such as targets and accounts. Learn more about Dynamic Infrastructure.
- Click SAVE.
You can add as many environments as you need.
Edit your environments
To edit individual environments, click the ... overflow menu for that environment. From here, it is possible to edit the environment, description, change the guided failure mode, enable or disable dynamic infrastructure, or delete the environment.
You can control who has access to view, edit, and deploy to environments by assigning users to Teams and assigning roles to those teams. For more information, see the section on managing users and teams.
Manage your environments
If you're working with a large number of environments and deployment targets, the Environments page makes it easy to sort, filter, and view your environments and the deployment targets that belong to each environment.
Sort your environments
Click the ... overflow menu on the environments sections to reveal the reorder menu and access a drag and drop pane to sort your environments.
The order that environments are shown in the environments tab also affects:
- The order that they are shown in the Dashboard.
- The order that they are listed when choosing which environment to deploy a release to.
It's a good idea to put your least production-like environments first, and the most production-like environments last.
Use advanced filters
You can use advanced filters to search your environments by clicking on SHOW ADVANCED FILTERS from the environment page.
This will let you search by:
- Deployment target
- Target Roles
- Health Status
- Communication style
Learn how to add and manage your deployment targets.
Need support? We're here to help.