If you are hosting Octopus Server yourself, here are the set of minimum requirements.
The Octopus Server is hosted on a Microsoft Windows operating system, however, once your Octopus Server is up and running, you can deploy to Windows Servers, Linux Servers, Azure, and AWS.
Octopus Server can be hosted on any modern Windows Server. We automatically test Octopus Server on the following versions of Windows Server:
- Windows Server 2008 SP2
- Windows Server 2008 R2
- Windows Server 2012
- Windows Server 2012 R2
- Windows Server 2016
Octopus Server will run on Windows Server Core and Windows Server version 1709 etc. However, the easiest installation path is to use "Windows Server with a GUI" and run our installation wizard. If you want to use one of the new GUI-less servers, you will need to add some missing Windows Features and configure Octopus Server yourself.
Learn about automating installation.
Octopus Server will run on client/desktop versions of Windows, such as Windows 7 and Windows 10. This can be a nice easy way to trial Octopus Server; however, we do not support Octopus Server for production workloads unless it is hosted on a server operating system.
SQL Server Database
The following versions of SQL Server Database are supported and automatically tested against every release of Octopus Deploy Server:
- SQL Server 2008
- SQL Server 2008 R2
- SQL Server 2012
- SQL Server 2014
- SQL Server 2016
- SQL Server 2017
- Express (free)
- Microsoft Azure SQL Database
- AWS RDS SQL Database
Octopus works with a wide range of versions and editions of SQL Server, from a local SQL Server Express instance, all the way to an Enterprise Edition SQL Server Failover Cluster or SQL Server AlwaysOn Availability Group, or even one of the hosted database-as-a-service offerings.
We try to keep the .NET Framework requirements for Octopus Server as stable as possible:
- Octopus 3.4 to Octopus 2018.4.0 requires .NET Framework 4.5.1 or newer.
- Octopus 2018.5.0 and onwards requires .NET Framework 4.5.2 or newer and WMF/PowerShell 5.0 or newer.
The Octopus Server comes with a built-in web portal user interface and we try to keep this as stable as possible:
- Octopus 3.0 to Octopus 3.17 supports all modern browsers and Internet Explorer 9+.
- Octopus 4.0 and onwards supports all modern browsers, and Internet Explorer 11+ (available on Windows 7 and newer, and Windows Server 2008R2 SP1 and newer).
There is no "one size fits all" approach for Octopus Server. The best approach is to start with a working Octopus Server, start deploying your applications, monitor your server statistics, and scale from there.
- Absolute minimum to make it run: 512MB RAM, 1GHz CPU, 2GB free disk space.
- Recommended starting point for smaller deployments (less than 30 deployment targets for example): 2GB RAM, dual-core CPU, 10GB free disk space.
- Recommended starting point for larger deployments: 4GB RAM, dual-core, 20GB free disk space.
Learn more about Octopus Server performance.