This tutorial will help you complete your first deployment in Octopus Deploy. It will walk through the steps to deploy a sample hello world package to one or more of your servers. The only prerequisite is a running Octopus Deploy instance, either in Octopus Cloud or self-hosted. The tutorial assumes you have a brand new instance running and will walk through the rest of the setup, including configuring deployment targets.
This tutorial will take between 25-35 minutes to complete, with each step taking between 2-5 minutes to complete.
- Configure environments
- Create a project
- Define the deployment process
- Create a release and deploy it
- Define and use variables
- Approvals with manual interventions
- Add deployment targets
- Deploy a package to the deployment targets
Before starting the tutorial, if you haven't set up an Octopus Deploy instance, please do so by picking from one of the following options:
- Octopus Cloud -> we host the Octopus Deploy instance for you, it connects to your servers.
- Self-hosted on a Windows Server -> you host it on your infrastructure by downloading our MSI and installing it onto a Windows Server with a SQL Server backend. Learn more about our installation requirements.
- Self-hosted as a Docker container -> you run Octopus Deploy in a docker container. You will still need a free license.
When you have an instance running, go to the configure environments page to get started.
This tutorial will deploy a sample package to your servers. If you prefer to skip that and start configuring Octopus Deploy for your application right away, please see:
Need support? We're here to help.